Friday, June 19, 2009

Breathing and running - how do you do it?

I have done day 1 of week 7 of the c25k program this morning. I remembered how I wanted to talk about breathing. A few years ago - I think it was 2003-ish, way before I started WW - S had tried to make me run, the plan was to run around the neighborhood... I thought - sure! why not, I can do that! Boy was I wrong. I could barely go around the block without feeling like I was going to cough up a lung... S had asthma as a child so he pointed out right away - you're not breathing right!  That's when I first found out that I needed to control my breathing while exercising. (Yeah, I was clueless, I know!! :)

A few years later, I lived near High Park and thought that it would be such a great place to run, so I decided to try again. The first time I did it, I remembered quickly why I had stopped - ouch my throat and lungs!! So what's that big secret about how you're supposed to breathe a certain way for this to be possible? Well, I had no idea, but I tried this - breathe in through the nose for 2 steps, breath out through the mouth for 3 steps. And it seemed to work! I was so impressed at how simple this was and how much better I felt, how much more power I had, how much longer I could run...

To this day, that's still how I breathe through a run. And it's so silly - as soon as it starts being difficult I am always tempted to stop it and go for a big gulp of air. But now I know that I have to keep up with it, I find it tough, but it's the only way it works for me - if I control how I breathe...

Now, I pretty much 'made that up' for myself, and recently I was curious to see if there was info out there about breathing when you run, you know, to see if there was an even better method... I found a few articles on the subject, and now I'm confused:

How to control breathing while running

The Ins and Outs of breathing during exercise
Breathing during exercise

So my question to you is - how do you breathe when running?




2 comments:

Fatinah said...

that is so funny - I've never, ever noticed my breathing during running. You can bet I will be watching next time I go out!

lynn said...

i don't even know if i'm conscious of it...which is weird b/c i am for the entire hour and a half i do yoga...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Progress...

 Pregnancy Ticker

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

BLBE I